Saturday, April 5, 2008

Bomb I Mean Prom Season

I am not generally a risk-taking, thumb-my-nose-at-death type of woman. I’ve never sky-dived, bungee-jumped, or considered a career as a Navy Seal. But I agreed to participate today in an adventure that could loosen the bowels of the most stout-hearted warrior: I went Prom Dress Shopping with my daughter and two of her friends.

I donned the armor necessary for the occasion which included a helmet, chain mail and my fireplace poker because, Friends, Prom Dress Shopping can get mighty ugly! I know this well as I have accompanied Butterfly many times before on her shopping sprees for Homecoming and Turnabout. The Mother/Daughter Teams grabbing, snatching, elbowing and fighting over dresses and changing rooms; the palpable spirit of killer competition. Frankly, it's shocking!

I found a little chair by a mirror and tried to stay safely out of the way until it was time for me to fulfill my duties as “Queen of Final Approval” and “Master of the Master Card.” Bright colors are very trendy this season I learned as I viewed formal dresses in colors that would make the Crayola company green with envy. Butterfly finally settled on a beautiful long dress of shimmery blue with silver beads at the waist and a plunging neckline.

After the Prom Dress purchase, we had to think about shoes, purse, a wrap, and jewelry. I am currently writing a sequel to the “If you Give A Mouse A Cookie” series entitled, “If You Buy A Girl A Prom Dress”…….

Whew. It’s over. Like Julius Caesar, "I came, I saw, I conquered." Super Hubs is uncomfortable about the plunging neckline. “Will you be wearing a turtleneck under that?” he asked his daughter in all seriousity. After she rolled her eyes at him, I saw him googling “Burqua” and “Amish Bonnet with long collar” on his laptop.

(Long sigh.) My Baby Girl. It seems as if just yesterday she was flushing her shoe down the toilet, and now today she bought a Prom Dress. (Sniff.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, my wife says that SH needs to be careful - not a good conversation to have with a teenage girl. Frankly, I think that there would be a market in locking Burkahs and books about tactics to cover our daughters with many useful diagrams & instructions for the befuddled father!

Great Blog, Kelly. I think you could give Stephen King some lessons with this one! EEK!