Sunday, June 1, 2008

Final Chapter

Tomorrow I begin retirement, of sorts. I have homeschooled my children for 7 years, and I am now officially finished. In a blink of an eye, it’s done. Kaput. Finito.

So I will put the school bell away on the shelf, take off my spectacles and turn out the light in the classroom for the last time. (I don’t actually use a bell. Or spectacles for my 20/20 vision. Or a classroom, for that matter. I was just speaking metaphorically.) It’s the end of an era in our home.

Rock Star will be entering high school in the fall with Butterfly; his first year and her fourth. And Little Squirt will start kindergarten in an excellent public school system. And it’ll be good for his extroverted, outgoing nature. He needs more socially than what I provide for him at home. I am not the Energizer Bunny, for Pete’s sake! Super Hubs and I have processed-schmocessed this at length and know it’s the right thing to do. So why do I feel like he’s just enlisted?? (Sniff.)

My emotions are running the bi-polar gamete from sorrow to joy. In boxing up a ton of curriculum, I can reclaim my bookshelf space, get rid of some clutter and organize the basement. And I’ll gain about 4 hours in personal time that I can utilize for some humanitarian good. Or maybe for napping.

Good-bye, Math. I will not miss you a bit. You've frustrated us to no end.
Au Revoir, Literature. I have thoroughly enjoyed our adventures!
Science, we’ve had a rocky romance. I’ll remember you with…fickleness.
And to the other subjects- Thanks for the memories. They are rich.

Now I can regress back to dumbness. I don’t have to have all the answers and all the responsibilities of educating my children.
Wohoo!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of those cusp-moments in life! Very evocative writing!

Anonymous said...

Now you have time for so many other things!