Thursday, July 24, 2008

My New Career

I have no idea how to be A Football Mom, or what that title is actually going to involve. Now that Rock Star has joined his high school Freshman football team, I am hearing little bits of news bites (from my Senior daughter) about what my role will be. According to Butterfly, I will have to show up at all the games wearing yellow and green Mardi Gras beads, join The Booster Club, and cook up pounds of spaghetti for starving athletes Pasta Nights. I must work various fund raisers, become BFFs with the other Football Moms and pretend that I know the ins and outs of the game. Which I don’t. That’s actually a laughable thought. I don’t know a full back from a half back from a back scratcher (which I could use right now…..got an itch…..down to the right a little…..). I’ll clearly be an embarrassment to my son.

But here’s what I do know. I’ve been A Football Mom for one whole week now, and it’s practically a full time job. I have been doing loads extra laundry a day, trying to keep Rock Star in clean running shorts, football t-shirts and socks. I have to sign my name to a boatload of checks for camp and equipment and special athletic shoes. I must make him a 2-egg Swiss cheese omelet and peach smoothie after every practice, and keep our fridge stocked with water bottles and lemon Propel. I need to ice down his achy muscles, feed him ibuprofen, and remind him to go to sleep at a decent hour. And pray. Especially pray. I must pray for his protection. Good Lord, I have shuddered at the size of some of his team mates!

But he is my boy. So if being A Football Mom requires me to buy a new wardrobe in green and yellow sportswear and memorize play books and watch the Super Bowl, I will gladly do this. I will be Football Mom to make him proud! I might even actually figure out the game.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just think of the responsibilities of being a Football dad

Anonymous said...

Hang in there guys :)