Monday, July 28, 2008

On Slowing

It frequently happens……when I am in a hurry (which is often )….…I get in line at the checkout with the slowest cashier. It said “Tina” on her name tag. She was loquacious; commenting on almost every item in my cart. “Aren’t these the most delicious peaches? I’ve never tried this shampoo before. Oooh, it looks like you’re going to have a BBQ.” She took her time, smiling her way through her work. She seemed to take pleasure in handling each item I was buying, concentrated carefully on the scanning, and then packed them into the bags with great care. She chatted with me about the weather (which was “delightful”) and told me about her Chihuahua (who was ill but had "the most wonderful veterinarian"). She complemented me on what a fine young boy Little Squirt was and how handsome! Then she rang up the total, handed me my receipt, and wished me a “blessed day.”

And you know what? She blessed my day! Her sweetness, her enthusiasm, her zest for the ordinary was entirely contagious. I left feeling an enveloping cheeriness. And wondering how often I hasten through life, and miss being a blessing to others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a good reminder to 'practice slowing.'

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog and thanks for sharing!