Sunday, July 20, 2008

Row Row Row Your Boat


Tonight we had close friends over for dinner. As we sat on our back deck sharing bruschetta, they told us about their purchase of a new kayak. Married for over 20 years, they recently realized they wanted to try a new hobby together, something that would be a fun form of recreation as a couple. So they bought the kayak, and now spend weekends merrily paddling along various local lakes and rivers.

Our conversation got me a’thinking. Super Hubs and I don’t share any hobbies. He loves model railroads, writing game reviews for publication, reading history books and watching The Discovery Channel. I love acting with my Drama Team, writing stories, cooking exotic dishes, and martini nights with my girlfriends. Got the picture? He’s left-brained and I am right. We have different styles of enjoyment.

And do we recreate together? Not unless you consider Dining Out a sport. Or trimming the bushes side by side a playful pastime. We do go out to see the occasional movie or theatrical performance. We do sit on the beach together and read books. But is that enough for a healthy marriage? Oh, dear God, now I’m worried! We’ve been married for 19 years and do not have a passion for any kind of shared recreating!! (Other than Rick Steves’ European tours, but we don’t have the budget for that on a regular basis.)

So now I’m frantically trying to brainstorm possibilities for an appropriate pastime for Super Hubs and I. Scuba diving? (Expensive and scary. Not to mention we live in the Midwest.) Golf? (Boooooring. I’m way too ADHD.) Camping? (Sounds dirty. And hot. And I hate insects.) Tandem dirt bike riding? (Now I’m just being silly.) Motorcycling? (Hellooo…..my Horrid Humid Hair!!)

See?? There’s nothing. Nothing whatsoever for us to do together. Not a thing. I guess we’ll have to stick with Dining Out. Or maybe we should borrow our friends’ kayak and try paddling off into the sunset. Unless you have any suggestions for us?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raising your wonderful kids?

Anonymous said...

Electric bike riding?
Duck-pulled kayaking?
Helium ballooning?

Anonymous said...

How about helium duck talking while riding bikes! You could sing the "Disco Duck" song, if you can remember the words!

Seriously, this is a fun blog -- really enjoyed it Kelly!